Sunday, June 26, 2011

To Kill A Mockingbird - Rebecca's Take



I am probably the ONLY person who was not required to read "To Kill A Mocking Bird" in school. That is why it is on my long list of classics I am working through. However, I did see the movie (loved it) and read the synopsis Jackie so kindly provided. My lack of knowledge of the book may also explain any incorrect assumptions or questionable reactions included in my response.

That said, I don't care for the covers that utilize the literal mocking bird imagery. A bit of research told me that mocking birds are mentioned and seen in the book. And that the mockingbird is a symbol because, as Atticus says in the book, "it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." However, I feel it is redundant to use an image of the bird on the cover along with the title. Rather, I want something else on the cover to further draw me in - not a regurgitation of what I already know.

Two covers immediately grabbed my attention:

The one with the fence and the one with a representation of Scout's eye staring out at you. I feel this cover, in particular, really expresses the heart of the story - how a little girl sees what is happening around her and how she reacts to it. I am assuming the story is told from a child's perspective and so I find this cover the most effective. Besides, the intense photograph of her eye draws me in - I can't help but want to know what she is thinking.

The appeal of the cover with the fence stems from more aesthetic reasons. Yes, it accurately portrays a part of the story - the unjust incarceration and exacution of a black man during an especially racist time in history - but it also uses simple graphics to convey its message successfully. No frills here. Simple silhouettes across the entire cover (front and back) and two colors (orange and black) are used.