Friday, June 17, 2011

Re: Faux Design

I'm not sure that I would consider this being worth an exhibit in an art museum-not that I dislike it at all, I'm  just not sure if I would appreciate it so much after paying attendance, to see fake retro book jackets. At the same time, it is interesting to see a 2010 interpretation of what we have decided is "old" in terms of typeface, layout, and imagery. The wrinkled and taped covers add a fun effect. I really can't comprehend someone actually buying these books (there is no written content inside) but I must admit I wouldn't mind a t-shirt or a print.

Perhaps with the introduction of e-readers and iPads, this is the perfect time to have such an exhibit-a last hurrah of old books.

Also, I thought this cover failed to feel fully retro. The typeface and even the color scheme feel kind of mid/late 90's and the taped up corner feels like a last second attempt to make sure it feels older than it actually is.