Monday, June 13, 2011

Even my grandma has a Kindle!

I usually am an early adapter when it comes to technology. I bought one of the original iPods, and I got a smart phone pretty early on as well. One thing that I have yet to adapt to though is the e-reader.

Over winter break, I went to Florida to visit my grandparents. They know that I'm an avid reader, so they were not surprised that I brought 4 books with me for a 7 day visit. As I was talking to my grandmother about some of my new favorite authors, she pulls out her Kindle. I looked at her in shock. I couldn't believe that the first Kindle I was coming in contact with was my grandmothers. She's a big reader herself, and she explained that with all the traveling she does (to visit her many grandchildren), she's found that the Kindle is much easier to carry multiple books in one trip. She let me play around with it to figure out how to use it, and I was very surprised at how easy the text was to read, and how light the device was.

Although it has been about 5 months since I had the Kindle in my hands, I still haven't taken the plunge to buy one. I think it's cause I, like many of my fellow classmates, like the feeling of having a physical book in my hands. I like being able to turn the pages, and I like being able to see how thick the number of pages I have left to read are. I know I'll eventually buy one, but I think I'm going to hold off as long as possible!