Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I judged a book by its cake




I 100% picked up this book because of its cover. Not only does it use my favorite blue, but it has the most delicious looking piece of cake on it! At second glance, you might notice that the cake is actually casting a shadow of a girl instead of cake. I always look at the smoke coming from the candle and think that it must also form some sort of shape, but I can never figure out what, leading me to believe that it does not form any type of shape at all! The cake wraps around to the spine, which makes me want to grab it off of the shelf even more.

Even though I judged this book by its cover thinking it was going to be one of those light, happy reads and discovered quickly that it wasn’t, I still liked it. I usually don’t read books of the magical realism genre, but I enjoyed Aimee Bender’s style of writing, and I would read another one of her books. So although I did judge this book by its cover, my judgement turned out better than Traci's. I actually read The Great Gilly Hopkins when I was about eleven as well, and the cover did not look like the one Traci posted. It was much less enticing.