Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gutenberg's Bible


Last summer I took the History of Graphic Design class with Bert Smith. I found it fascinating to learn how all of the processes have evolved into our present day system, with most of the credit going to Gutenberg. Not only was it revolutionary for the print industry, it was revolutionary for society as a whole. We are now able to get information and share our thoughts with the click of a button, but in the 1400s, communication was mainly achieved through word-of-mouth. Imagine where we’ll be in another 600 years!

As a designer, I think the book is functional, while also being ornate. The flourishes on the pages are a lovely addition, although I can see what Jolie means about them not having a specific purpose. I admire the even column design that stays consistent throughout the book, making it more organized for the reader.