Thursday, February 9, 2012

On The Topic of Book Binding

Of course, you all must realise by now what a fanatic I am about actually binding my own books. On the rare occasion that I have a free moment, I go to the art supply store or a specialized book binding supply store. I get lost in aisles going over the different kinds of archival book cover board or beautiful textured book cloth, bone folders, awls, glue, etc.
I love finding a book that is bound in an unconventional manner. I love trying to figure out how to take it apart, and put it back together again. One of the most beautiful and challenging types of binding that I have not had the courage or time to try yet is "Sweet Binding" (images below)...
















I want to share with you a link I like to refence from time to time about bookbinding:
http://byubookbinding.blogspot.com/2007/09/sweet-binding-examples.html

And as we go into next week's assignment having to mock up our books, I'm sure everyone will be busy researching it. So I pose this question to you: What is you favorite type of binding? Do you have any particular examples of a beautifully bound book that you would like to share? Anything goes....materials, bookcloth, end paper, etc.....I'd like your thoughts about the actually tactile parts of a book you enjoy.

Cheers!
-Trudy