Saturday, February 4, 2012

Easy to Read!!


Let me apologize for the lateness of this post. Thanks be to Trudy, who pointed out that I had spaced, so we actually have a post.
Realizing I had missed the post got me to thinking about how crazy busy I am that I let this slip. Trying to think about books while slightly panicked about being late, I realized how difficult it actually is to find time to read (or do school work or post to a blog).
Having a small amount of reading time to themselves is probably the only reason I envy folks who ride the bus. Bus people and people in prison!
So thinking of a book design blog post and how busy I find myself, I thought about books I have been able to read lately. One very interesting book came to mind. World War Z.
So I thought about the design of the content structure which made this book very easy to read. I love post-apocalyptic books like this and The Road, but what I really loved was the fact that the content was designed in manner that made it super easy to stop and start reading. It is fiction (I hope), but it is written as an oral history in the vein of The Good War by Studs Terkel and the author of World War Z claims that was the inspiration.
World War Z is just a collection of personal accounts of individuals experience when a zombie outbreak covers the globe. They are woven together loosely to tell of the global struggle. If you haven’t read it, read it, but more importantly can you think of a book content delivery design and/or scheme which makes a book easy to read and stay connected and vested with the characters while offering great stopping and starting points so you can read over time.
I realize that we have a few people in the class who might try to make a smart comment about chapters and chapter numbers  here. I am looking right at you Chrystal and Krystal. J I wouldn’t put it past Marie either.

 
I always liked the cover too.