Saturday, February 11, 2012

I never know how much I don't know until I talk to you guys

I have to admit, as much as I appreciate a beautiful book, I don't know too much about bindings. I pretty much thought it was limited to perfect binding, or saddle stitching. I see that like everything else I've learned in this program, there's a whole lot about design that I just don't know.

A lot of my reading has been done on the go. Standing up on a crowded subway car, with a family member's child on my lap on a plane... I find a saddle stitched convenient to wrap around and take up less space. New Yorkers pride ourselves on being able to fold a newspaper into the proper subway-seat width before we even know how to read the articles in them, and I do the same with my books. Fancy book spines would just end up broken, and that makes me feel guilty.

With my goal for this weekend laid out before me (research interesting types of book bindings), I'll go off -- hopefully with more to say in my next post.