Monday, February 6, 2012

Do Short Stories Count?

In response to Anthony's question, I totally agree with Crystal's statement; "I don't necessarily believe that the design of the content creates the level of readability. It all depends on the content itself."

That being said, the book that sort of bends the rules to Anthony's question is a book of short stories........which by it's very nature makes it easy to put down and pick up again.  The book is chose is Everything's Eventual by Stephen King.








































 I started reading King's novels when I was around thirteen years old.....actually, "It" was the first one, and it nearly scared me away from King. But I feel in love with his method of story telling, and how he humanised the characters in each story. I found the easiest way for me to digest King's work was by reading his short stories........what a great read!

Though it does not have the best cover design, another Stephen King short story collective really left a strong impression on me. In "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" I really enjoyed the story of a young couple that goes lost in a little town in Oregon, only to realise in the end that they cannot escape from the town run by the legendary dead musicians like Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, and Janis Joplin who died at age 27.....a curious coincidence that has widely become known as a curse in modern pop culture. I love, love, love these stories. And I love the fact that when they get too much for my palate, I can put them down and pick them back up again.

























Ps- Crystal Morris....I am so excited that you mentioned reading the Game of Thrones stories! I've been meaning to pick it up based on the show. Good choice.....