Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Liking Ugly Covers For Their Personal Significance

Marie, I enjoyed your post on the many covers of Beloved. For me what's interesting is that when a book has many covers, I often develop a fondness for the cover of the edition I read even if it's ugly. The cover may be unattractive, but it still reminds me of how much I enjoyed that particular book and my experiences while reading it.

Again for example, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh


I remember thinking "ick" when I first saw this book at the library, but I trusted my friend's recommendation and checked the book out anyway. I enjoyed this book very much and now when I see the cover I have a warmer reaction because of the text.

The newer cover designs are more appealing, but I can't help but think, "That's not what that book looks like!" because they hold no personal significance.