Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Breaking down genre walls

Marie, I love, love, love that book, "Tree Of Codes." I want to get my hands on it and have it be my squishy.

Crystal and Meredith- Chick Lit was one of the first genres I thought of too. There are SO many books that are pink with rings or other cute, cartooney illustrations. It's painful, but it obviously works to sell them. And why DON'T women ever have heads on book covers? Strange.

I was looking for something in the chik-lit genre that does it a bit differently, so I have two covers to submit to you all for your thoughts. One is Lovehampton, which sounds pretty terrible.But I must say- I appreciate this cover not having a bikini-clad (headless) cartoon lady lounging
on a pink beach towel. Baby steps, I suppose. Or I can totally imagine an illustrated version of the cover above, with a pink polka-dot bikini hanging from the dune fence post. Right?

The other cover is for a book of selected short stories by women, called "This is Not Chick Lit." Now alright, it's not chick lit, but the cover and title play on all the established rules of the genre, so I'm still going to count it for this post.