Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Beauty of the Printed Book

After attempting to bind a book for the first time, I have an even greater appreciation for the printed book. As Alice Rawsthorn says in the New York Times, few things are designed to do their jobs perfectly and the printed book is one of them. She writes:

"What else could be quite as efficient at packaging so many thousands of words in a form, which is sufficiently sturdy to protect them, yet so small and light that it can be carried around to be read whenever its owner wishes? The pages, type, binding and jacket of a traditional printed book do all of the above, as well as giving its designer just enough scope to make the result look beautiful, witty or intriguing."



She goes on to compare printed books to e-books and states that even though e-books are growing in popularity, their designs have been disappointing so far. I have never read an e-book so I can't exactly say I agree, but I do share her sentiment for printed books. I like reserving books at the library and hurrying to pick them up, I like using bookmarks, I like wasting time in bookstores and I love crawling into bed with a good book. To me, printed books make stories into experiences and I'm not sure I'll ever embrace electronic books.

Do you read e-books and if so, what do you think of their design? Do you enjoy the experience of reading an e-book as much as a printed book?