Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Anderson Cooper and Dispatches from the Edge

Anthony's Question:

Can you think of a book content delivery design and/or scheme which makes a book easy to read and stay connected and vested with the characters while offering great stopping and starting points so you can read over time?


I honestly can't think of any books that were super easy to read besides Dr. Seuss :-) If I have a general interest in that genre I'll pick up the book and continue reading until it either becomes boring or I finish -whichever happens first. It's not necessarily the way the book is laid out (unless its a text book) that helps me stay connected as opposed to the content.

I do enjoy reading autobiographies/biographies/memoirs. Perhaps it's the personal account of someones experiences that are intersting to me. One of my favorites is Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper. What I like most is the chapters are separated into reporting assignments and transition back and forth between his childhood and experiences as a reporter. In my opinion, breaking the book into these some what short stories makes the information more memorable and easier to digest. Take a look at a few of the chapters:

Introduction
Tsunami: Washed Away
Iraq: Inkblots of Blood
Niger: Night Sweats
Katrina: Facing the Storm
Aftermath




Of course it also helps that the book has great accompanying photos!