Thursday, February 23, 2012

For Cod and Country -- one hell of a cookbook

The Museum is welcoming a guest speaker on March 1 -- Barton Seaver, author of "For Cod and Country."
I happened to see his book laying around the office the other day and I was blown away by not only the amazing content, but the graphic design of the book, from the textured paper, to the subtly beautiful color palettes, to the elegantly typefaces, and the clean layout with amazing photography. The paper itself is uncoated, and looks to be recycled, so the ink is really absorbed onto the paper, but given that this is a cookbook aimed at sustainability, I think that fits in very well with the motif.

I'm trying to borrow the book so I can bring it in to the class, but in the mean time, here's a few photos, and some more info on Barton Seaver, if you're interested. (I'm thinking of particularly Meredith, as a self-professed "foodie") I don't cook much myself, but I want to buy this book for my good friend, who IS a great cook, in the hopes that I can cajole her into making me dinner from one of the recipes.


http://www.bartonseaver.org/

"National Geographic Fellow and Washington, D.C. chef Barton Seaver is an influential voice in the culinary world because of his take on seafood and sustainability. In his first book, For Cod and Country, Seaver introduces an entirely new kind of casual cooking featuring seafood that hasn't been overfished or harvested using destructive methods.
Organized by season, For Cod and Country is a full-color exploration of recipes showcasing a wide variety of fish caught at specific times of year combined with fresh vegetables and vibrant spices. The book also includes “A Separate Season” for seafood available year-round, and healthful and ocean-friendly substitutes for fish species that are popular yet overharvested. In addition, Seaver takes a holistic approach to sustainability and covers wellness, portion size, fishermen, catch methods, and a fish’s role in the marine ecosystem."


The outside jacket and the actual hard cover of the book are exactly the same design and material-- linen-like that kind of reminds me of a potato sack.

Each page draws from colors in the opposite photo.

Call-outs have nice touches.




Hot.