Friday, July 10, 2015

The Last Week: Top 2

As I am sitting here thinking about what I want to post about, I figured we can talk about what we have gained from Book Design this semester.

As crazy as it is, I can tell people that I MADE a book with my own two hands. Like MADE IT; designed the cover, the inside pages, folded the pages, glued the spine, put the cover on, and TA-DA, a real life physical book. To me, that is absolutely crazy, but to see how far we have come since day 1 truly is a astounding.

SO, for my last post and as our last week is approaching, I figured we can all put the top 2 things we learned this semester/were the most interesting that we didn't know before that we can take with us moving forward:


1) Learning the overall contents of a book; and how to navigate through it

This course has taught me so much about books in general, being not that big of a reader, I not only learned that a book has "front and back matter", folio elements, title AND half-title, but how important the design is to the book cover. I have learned through this course that people really do "judge a book by its cover" and it is up to us - the designers - to design it to the audience we are designing for.

2) Perfect Binding a Book

This is absolutely crazy to say that I made a book and have something to show for it. Never in a million years would I think I could say I re-designed a book, folio elements, cover, and all. I was unaware of what it takes to create a book, but being a DIYer, I was fascinated when we were told that is what we are going to be doing. It takes a lot of patience, but not a lot of people can say they have done it.


To finish this post with a BANG, here is a list of the 50 Most Inspiring Quotes About Books and Reading