Monday, July 13, 2015

Re: The Last Week: Top 2

I've noticed since the start of this class when I am in a book store that I gloss over all the books that are more weakly designed, especially those designed using tropes, looking for something that really pops out at me.  I am paying attention to the illustration, the color, the typeface, the paper quality. I also recently caught myself picking up various books from the shelf in the store and checking out the binding, the folio elements, the front and back matter, etc. Like others have said, I am really paying attention to the overall design of the books. I also feel like I have more insight into why a book was designed a certain way, why a certain layout was chosen.
I learned how to make physical books in Book Arts and Type and Design helped me understand typographic and design elements that go into creating a book, but this class really brought those two aspects together to create a completed project from beginning to end.