Thursday, July 2, 2015

Re: interactive fiction

I'm not much of an e-book fan. If I can't read the physical book I am much more likely going to listen to the audiobook. So I do not have much exposure to "interactive" ebooks, or "hypertext" or "immersive fiction." When we first started talking about book 3, I looked into some websites for how to create an interactive ebook. I found the blog "A Step-by-Step Guide To Create An Interactive eBook." The blog includes videos explaining how to set up the indesign document, add animations and interactions, add videos, and publish. I also discovered iBooks Author, which I had no idea existed. Though I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, it appears to be more template based, with opportunities to add media but not as easy to customize.
Since then I've found the site Best Interactive eBooks, which displays an interesting interactive ebook for Sherlock Holmes. After looking at this site I can see how this format works well for certain books. For the book I picked, North and South, it makes sense as a fan who likes to reread the book to have access to something that would allow me to experience the story in a new way (though as mentioned in previous posts it does look a lot like a video game). Sherlock Holmes is another example of a story worth experiencing in a new way. But I still think there are plenty of books that would be better suited in their original physical form.