Monday, July 13, 2015

Re: Feedback & Top 2

Shannon--I agree with what's been said so far--I like where this is going! I'm not sure it bothers me that you can't see the missing finger right away, as it will have some pay-off when you read the section about the finger. I think you could try moving the bars around some, but I think it can work as it is. My screen is also showing more of an orange than a yellow, like Erin, though that could be a screen color/print color issue. I like that there's some dynamics working with the bars so they're not so literal, and they could be read as something even a bit more sinister than just jail cell bars in the context of what you've told us about this novel. I'm looking forward to see more of how this concept plays out.

Top Two:

I think the set up of the class requiring multiple iterations of the first two projects made the most difference for me. As expensive as it was, and as time-consuming as it was for me (being on campus from 8:30 am to at least 8 pm every Mon-Thurs sounds super fun, right?) to arrange my work around the lab hours, I do think I was able to get farther into my design ideas than I have in other courses. So, though I haven't felt like I've had a lot of time at any point during the class, I have felt like I was able to fine-tune what I did more than with other projects.

Like Erin, my other take-away from this class will be the process improvement of more detailed critique than can often be done in other classes. So, the feedback around the room and the expectation to think not only about the aesthetic qualities of the visuals but also about the conceptual element to design. While this is often the thing I get the most from in design studio classes, it seemed like since the class was a bit smaller than some others, we were able to have a bit more depth to our suggestions, so I got as much from seeing what you all have done as from your suggestions for me (again, like Erin said).