Thursday, July 2, 2015

Re: Interactive Fiction

I went to a seminar hosted by Simon and Schuster at Stevenson University last year that looked at their ePub process, and that was my first introduction to interactive ebooks. They showed us a book that was in progress that included animation as you read the story. The animation wasn't for everything, just certain highlights of the book. I loved everything about it.

Another thing they went over was the difference between reflowable and fixed layouts and setting up your files properly. While it wasn't a training course on how to create an interactive ebook, it helped to shed some light on what goes into the process of it. And little did I know at the time, that this is all possible with just using InDesign. Not of course for the animations/videos, but you can embed these types of things into your file. A step-by-step guide for creating an ebook can be found here.

In searching around for some examples of interactive ebooks, here is what I found:


And then I found this beauty! If more books, besides childrens book, were developed like this, I would definitely read more.