Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What the Future Holds

I believe books will make the "transition" as the other relics mentioned (i.e., records, cars). Just like records or antique cars, there's still a market, albeit small, and nothing is wrong with that.  The preservation of history would never be the same.  Books are the one item (I can think of) that have surpassed and held a strong sense of utility throughout history. If you think about it, we went from a tablet (stone) to bound books (Bible) back to the tablet (Kindle) again. 

People are steadily adapting to the e-reader, because of convenience, comfort, space or whatever the matter may be, but books will probably never disappear.  I agree with Callan...books may evolve into decorate items or as Hana mentioned…only printed for specialized use.  Paintings are another thing that will never fade.  There are still galleries and a desire for “brush on the canvas” no matter how advance Photoshop gets.  I have a Yashica Mat 124 medium-format camera that has been reduced to a decorative item on my fireplace mantel, and it works perfectly fine!  However, the cost, time and inconvenience of getting the film developed at one or two stores across the US is a pain.  But I love it.  I like the fact that this piece of equipment is older than me, has a different technology and transport me back in time.  You can’t replace that.