Monday, July 1, 2013

What the Future Holds

*Sorry this is so late

      For a long time the questions of what is the future of the books has been up it the air. Many would argue that books as we know them are dead and that the book read on a tablet is the future.

     
I have heard a similar statement before when I was a Photography major at MICA. Film was being pushed to the side to make way for digital photography, and many of my friends told me "Film is dead?"I would say right back to them "Film will never die!".  As it turned out we were both right. Digital has replaced film in all commercial forms, and many photo students are taught digital photography excursively.
  But film is not dead! though many photo supply companies have stop production on film products, many new smaller companies have popped up and began to sell black & white film and other darkroom martial. Proving that there is still a desire for the "old fashion" ways of taking photos. Film photography has became something artisan and avant garde.


Artist book "Tony" By Sarah Robbin
      

       Books and photography have the many parallels,  they both have one foot in the realm of practical application and one foot in the realm of high art. I believe that the fate of the print book is similar to the fate of film. I believe that in the future most books will be put out only in digital, but the books that are made into print will be art objects. These print books one will look through with white glove on (as to not damage the pages with the dirt on your hands), they will be things you past down to you grandchildren.

Coralie Bickford-Smith Cloth bound books for Penguin
     I believe this is all ready starting to happen. Many classic books are being produced with such care and high end design elements.

I am curious to hear what every one thinks is the future of the print book. And how everyone feels about my theory of books becoming art objects in the future.