Thursday, July 4, 2013

Re: Odd and Interesting Facts About Books

Fun topic Lapedra! I find it amazing that Nathan knows about every book Amy mentions. They must have similar taste in reads. Nobody ever knows about the romance novels I mention, but that's ok we're all friends here. Like Lapedra, I too have been inspired by everyone in the class. I've learned about some pretty cool books outside of romance and self-help genres, and I look forward to the free time I have to read them. Thanks Alli for posting the secrets site! Here are some fun facts I came across about books:

1. There have been over 20,000 books written about the game of Chess. (apparently everyone wants to be the best at Chess)

2. For the last 12 years of his life, Casanova was a librarian. (This doesn't surprise me)

3. There are 72,466,926 books in the Library of Congress on 327 miles of bookshelves. (seems like there should be more, maybe some books are not accounted for)

4. Charles Dickens had to be facing north before he could write a word. (I wonder why? Was that direction the direction he felt most free and open to be expressive?)

5. Around £2.2billion is spent on books each year in the UK, of which a fifth goes on children’s books. In America, we buy 57 books per second. It would take a shelf 78 miles long to hold all of one day’s books. (It's not a competition or anything)

6. The bestselling children’s book of all time may well be JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit, which has sold more than 100 million copies since 1937. (The Hobbit is a big deal, just not my cup of tea)

7. The real name of “Dr Seuss”, author of 64 children’s books, was Theodor Seuss Geisel. When asked why he had no children of his own, De Seuss said: “You have ’em; I’ll entertain ’em.” (How sweet! RIP)

8. One out of every eight letters you read is the letter ‘e’. (How in the world does Gadsby not have any?! Now that's amazing!)

I could keep going because this is such a fun topic to research but I should save some fun facts for class to share. Cheers to the 4th!!!!