Thursday, July 4, 2013

Re: Odd and Interesting Facts about Books

Hey Lapedra, Neat facts. :) I don't think my example fits into interesting facts about books, but I came across an interesting fact from a book if that counts: Randy Pausch, former HCI professor at Carnegie Mellon wrote the World Book encyclopedia entry on Virtual Reality.

If you're looking for an inspirational book, and a tear jerker at that, Randy Pausch's Last Lecture is the book for you. Pausch succumbed to pancreatic cancer in 2008, but he definitely left an indelible mark in my life after watching his memorable lecture and interview before his passing. He has produced work for Electronic Arts and Disney and as mentioned above, he was a former Human Computer Interaction professor at Carnegie Mellon (comp ssic not ixd dept).




The Last Lecture (btw, shorter, easy read too!) talks about his upbringing, how he met his wife, inspirational and humorous talk about lessons learned and dealing with tough situations, and also the legacy he wants to leave his children with, who were just young children at that time (this part, especially gets me teary eyed even writing this post).

Well, I'm so glad I found the interview with Diane Sawyer, which is how I found about his life story, so I thought to share the interview with you all. I'm also attaching a link to his actual last lecture about his life lessons and advice to motivate and inspire his students for their future ahead. Get ready for tissues, inspiration, and laughter too. :)

Interview with Diane Sawyer

His "last lecture" to his Carnegie Mellon students