Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Re: What the future holds

"For people who truly love books, print is the only medium that will satisfy."






Here is a great article about this topic on mashable:

Three things that separate the printed book from the e-book:

1. Feel/weight/texture
2. Cover art that can be on the bookshelf for interior design
3. Conversation starter

And on the flip side:

1. Price is priority
2. Vision problems / other physical limitations
3. Shame (yea, I don't need my fellow coffee drinkers to know I'm reading Fifty Shades of Grey)

As you'll hear about me discuss my concepts for project three, I propose that human beings are obsessed and in love with the form of an object. It has more magic to it. Knowing your great-grandmother passed down to you an e-book about her homeland that should stay with you for generations to come just doesn't quite ring as beautifully as the idea of the print book passed through generations. When I can smell an e-book, then perhaps I'll reconsider my stance.