Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Odd and Interesting Facts about Books

Okay, it's my turn!  I am the least in the class when it comes to reading and books...as you all know.  However, I'm very grateful for this class, because I've met some inspiring, intelligent, well-read folks!  That includes you, AMY!  And I'm always amazed at Nathan and how he seems to know every book and author mentioned.  That is impressive!  I have been inspired and have decided to start reading a book at least once a month.  So this was not in vain, my friends.

{Group Hug}

Now, I LOVES me some TRIVIA and I can be quite obnoxious about it, b/c I'm very competitive by nature.  With that said, I'm not that good! Ha! So when I thought about writing this post, I scratched my brow and thought, "what are some interesting facts about books?"  I went to the cloud and here we are...a few facts.

Did You Know:


  • William Shakespeare invented the word, "hurry."
  • It took Noah Webster 36 years to write his first dictionary.
  • In 1939 an author named Ernest Vincent wrote a 50,000 word novel called Gadsby. The only thing unusual about the novel is that there is not a single letter 'e' in the whole thing. (Wow!)
  • In the book, Les Miserable by Victor Hugo there is one sentence that is 823 words long. 
  • The world's most expensive book ever purchased was bought by Bill Gates at an auction for $30.8 million dollars. The title of the book is Codex Leicester by Leonard da Vinci. (Yeah, a book doesn't come to mind when I think about spending $30.8 mil, but ok.)
  • The largest book in the world is "The Klencke Atlas” with 1,75 meters long and 1,90 meters wide. It is so heavy as it needs six persons to lift it and other two to open it.
  • The best selling author of all time is Agatha Christie..only outsold by the Bible and William Shakespeare.



and lastly

So what are some of your interesting, odd or weird facts about books and authors?  Make it fun!  

And Happy 4th of July!