Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Spine Power

While working on Book project #2, I've come across some challenges. From my initial concepts that failed miserably to the progression of my current concept and cover, this has been an interesting assignment. My latest issue and frustration is deciding what type of paper to use for my text block. However, this will not be this week's post topic. Instead I want to discuss the role of the spine. I'm not super excited about my plain ol' spine but I've seen some pretty cool spines with some books. I think the spine is another way in which the designer has artistic license to attract the consumer by any means necessary.  90% of the time a book's spine is the first thing the consumer sees, as the book sits on a shelf. That's of course if you're not browsing Amazon or BN.com.

Wise Ink Creative Publishing noted the three tips to a book spine that sells are: color, font choice and an interesting concept. http://www.wiseinkblog.com/book-launch/3-tips-to-a-book-spine-that-sells/

As designers, what are your thoughts on this particular element of the book? Should it be consistent with the cover, can the designer go all out and be distinct and different? Seen any cool spines?

Oh the power of the spine.

http://blog.hpb.com/hpb-blog/2011/8/3/amazing-book-spine-art.html

a-mazing


For all the children's lit lovers


I had never seen the James Bond books until now. Interesting....

I've mentioned this before. Pretty awesome image as a whole