Thursday, July 10, 2014

Breaking Convention - Aseloka

I don't know that I have a lot of experience with this. Most of the books that I read are pretty straightforword. The Cheese Monkey's by Chipp Kid which I brought in last week definitely fits that description of breaking convention but I can't say that I've read it. I will say, however, that the cover and front matter which are clearly unconventional are definitely a lot of fun. And I appreciate this sort of break in the monotony in this particular example. It makes that book more interesting. It makes me want to read it.

Where I get concerned is when the text itself or the body copy have unexpected elements. I'm the type of person who likes to obtain information and I view grammar and syntax and structure in copy as a means to that end; an important one at that. I hesitate when I see unconventional elements that cause disruption or uncertainty. Doing something different for intrigue is one thing, but I draw the line when it impedes the overall purpose of the text.