Thursday, July 3, 2014

Spine Power- Derek




Looking at all the spin ideas has made me want to bulk up mine Adina. I agree that the spin is an important element to the book since it's how you identify the book most of the time when it's on the shelf. But, I also think unless it goes with a series of books it should be straightforward. When I say straightforward I mean using primarily color and text. Think about it, looking at the spine it delivers primarily the title, publisher and author and the cover grabs the consumer in with the texture, color, imagery and any other element added. I know personally if I'm looking for a new book I'd look at the cover over the spin. Don't get me wrong I appreciate a well thought out idea when it comes to book design, but it'smore of an afterthought rather than something that's going to actually sell me on the book. Here are some samples I thought were straightforward and effective.

                                    
       http://www.wiseinkblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/color.jpg