Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Re: Interactive Books -Jessica

Like many of you, I did not really start exploring interactive reads until recently because of this class. So I too don't have much knowledge or experience with them; it's all pretty much new territory for me.

With that said, I have no real opposition to interactive books. When done well, I think they can enhance the reader's experience depending on content, age group, and the execution of it. I think the added features aren't necessarily a distraction-- they are what makes the read interactive. Otherwise, why not just buy the book itself off the shelf (which in some cases, is the better alternative)? The interactivity can still allow for readers to spark creativity and re-imagine the story in their own way.

For example Curious George and the Firefighters engages little ones with  animation, audio cues and pronunciations, and can even create their own retelling of the story in the "story theater." It's also made to be read with parents, so it includes tips and pointers for parents on how to guide their little ones with comprehension and language skills from the get-go.


I also love the idea that oldies (such as Curious George) are able to stay relevant to new generations. Interactivity can make old things new again. So why not crossover some of the classics into a modern forum?

Another fun example of a children's interactive book is Little Lamb in Amsterdam. This one reminded me a little bit of some of our current projects with the "fun facts" created in addition to the narrative being told.


I learned about both of these examples on Kirkus Reviews. Check out the link-- they had many other examples of interactivity doing its thing.