Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Re: Rip off or Creative Inspiration? -Jessica

I never thought of creativity, as design, was unoriginal until recently when I was told that it's all been done before in some capacity. Which I suppose is true! We do continually take inspiration from what we see, read, and hear. At least I do. I feel as if I'm constantly influenced by what I surround myself by. Which, as Amy has pointed out in class previously, is so important to maintain that creative influence whether it's from what we find on the bookshelves, in fashion, in art, music or elsewhere. I think the line between ripping off a design and using something for inspiration is pretty clear.

Similar to Nicole, I have developed a process that helps me organize and funnel my thoughts and ideas when working on a particular project. An instructor from last semester's class taught us how and why it was so important to use mood boards for our projects. It was a new idea to me (and admittedly, not my favorite at the time!) but I have been unable to begin a creative process without it! From creating a color palette to collecting imagery, textures and type studies, it really lays a solid foundation for my process to develop.