Monday, July 14, 2014

Interactive Books - Aseloka

I like the idea of interactive books, but I can't say that I've come across many good examples. I do have a few texts here and there that offer a more enhanced reading experience. Being able to look up a definition or follow a link here and there can be useful. But for most books I'm not even really sure that much else needs to be added. One of the things I love so much about reading is the idea of building the story in my own imagination. And as much as I love good illustration, I think this is the way it should be. It's important that interactivity doesn't take away from the text itself. If you add interactivity it should be to enhance the reading experience not distract from it. I like to think that what we're doing with this assignment doesn't inhibit the reader's connection to the story. I've tried to setup my book that way at least. I want my reader to still be able to 'contribute' to the story.

I believe this should be true for children's books as well. It's especially important for children to learn to create a sense of story on their own. That's not to say that there shouldn't be any pictures but the bells and whistles still shouldn't impede the story. I've never been a parent to a small child so I'm not sure how possible that is, but I can imagine myself being a stickler and limiting my children's screen time for that very reason. My mom did it to me and I believe it was one of the best parenting choices she could've made and I will (if I ever have them) torture my children accordingly.