Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Unexpected Style Direction


For the past few months, I have coming back to a design genre that I usually shirk from : decorative design. But the kind of work I have been doing lately has brought me to this genre, and I pretty happy about that. Because I get to use inspiration from one of my favorite graphic designers; Louise Fili. Although she is famously known as a package designer and logo designer......she was the creative director at Pantheon book during the 80's, designing a large volume of book cover designs  during that time. Her website is an excellent showcase of some of her more recent and popular work (perhaps u recognize the Mermaid Inn branding and tiffany and co logomark.)

here is a link to her site : http://www.louisefili.com/books/?c=331&n=0

But what I am really inspired by are some of her book covers shown on her site. A number of them were co-authored by her equally famous husband Steven Heller (the renowned writer!). Her use of script type is legendary, and I particularly use book covers as a starting point of how to execute my decorative typography (although I am no where near her level of excellence.)

Her use of type on book covers are just beautiful! Side note, she is equally as lovely, elegant and understated in person as well!

Here's a few samples of books she designed :