Sunday, April 29, 2012

Choose your own adventure

I know a lot of you are going to be pretty dang excited to see this. Our beloved, classic "Choose Your Own Adventure" books have gone digital. They're now available for iPads and iPhones in the iBookstore.

I don't want to hate, but check out the screenshots they provide...

I like the idea of the map, but they just seem so tied to the original format, including the normal spread of a book. After this last project, I'm sure they could have done something crazy awesome, but it's just boring.

So this question is a little different than previous weeks. I want to talk about this little bit of nostalgia that's struggling to come into new technology and what they should have done instead. Also, what are other formats that seem like such a natural fit with interactive technology that should give it a shot?

Personally, I think when you have a cover design that looks like this (although really, they couldn't spare a redesign?) there's a lot of imagery and opportunity to pull through the interior. That map especially seems like a totally missed opportunity to me.

What do yo all think?