Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Colorful Spine Design

The funny thing is I quite often think of the spine as the last and most insignificant thing I have to design on the book. Of course now I'm realizing I should do a lot more after looking through some of your posts. I really like the idea of the design from the front cover continuing across the spine and onto the back cover. I'll have to remember that next time seeing as though in book stores and at the library the spine is the first thing you see. Below are a series of books published by penguin known as the Great Food series. The spines are very colorful and appear in a spectrum next to each other.



Penguin Publishing group also published this book with a photograph of book spines as the cover design. Pretty cool!



These last couple are just a few I think are pretty well designed. One set is an artist take on book spines and the other is one of my favorite books, Things Fall Apart.