Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Good Book, Bad Cover

I agree that The Red Tent would scare some readers away because I am one of those readers. I've looked at that book several times in the bookstore, then promptly put it down.

A book cover that I'd like to redesign is The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon. It's great book about love, friendship and transitioning into adulthood. When I first read it, it reminded me of my summers at home during college. The main character is rebelling from his father and figuring out what he wants now that his college days are over while having the time of his life with new friends. And this is the book's cover:



They've redone the cover since and it's still not working for me.


I want the cover to evoke the same ideas of youth, rebellion and adventure that the novel does, and both of these don't.