Monday, April 2, 2012

Harmony Indeed

When it comes to browsing for inspiration, book series are one of my favorite things to look at. It takes a lot of talent to make each cover strong enough to stand on its own and relate well to the other designs.

I can't think of any series where the book covers fit together like the Oliver Sacks books (which are absolutely amazing), but I have come across several series that I really, really like:


I am one of the ten people on earth who haven't read Harry Potter so I have no idea if these covers do the stories justice, but whether they do or don't, I think the designs are awesome. They're simple and clean, and somehow manage to look contemporary and retro at the same time. To me, they look like modern versions of the C.S. Lewis books we had in my house when I was a kid.


This is another series I found. Not only is it just plain pretty, but it's also clever--here's what the website had to say about the design:

The Ventil publishing house offers unconventional, critical, and true-to-life literature. The look reflects this alternative character. The use of beige cardboard conveys proximity to everyday life and people. The designs are for a nonfiction series and a series of small-format novels whose covers can be folded out to accommodate larger illustrations.

Cool, right?