Friday, July 8, 2011

The Very Hungry Caterpillar




I had several favorite books as a child, but I will always put The Very Hungry Caterpillar as one of my top favorites. It’s one that I made my parents read to me over and over again. I eventually heard it so many times, that even though I couldn’t read it yet, I had it memorized and pretended to read it. I loved how bright and colorful the illustrations were and I loved all of the different foods through which the caterpillar ate.



If you’re not familiar with it, the book basically catalogues this very hungry caterpillars diet while emphasizing numbers and days of the week. There are flaps that reveal hidden pictures when turned. Also, each food item has a hole through it to imply that he’s eaten through it. These elements really helped keep my interest throughout the book because they were fun and interactive. I was always wondering what the next flap was going to uncover and I loved sticking my fingers through the holes. I love that the caterpillar totally pigs out on Saturday, eats all sorts of junk food and gets a stomachache.




So then on Sunday, he eats through “one nice green leaf, and after that he felt much better”. Underlying lesson much? And of course at the end, on my favorite page, he turns into the most beautiful butterfly you have ever seen. I used to stare at that page and run my fingers over it, even though there was nothing to feel. The combination of the interactive elements with the beautifully done illustrations and entertaining story is what keeps The Very Hungry Caterpillar at the top of my list.