Thursday, July 7, 2011



Looking through all the covers, I am liking the American Harry Potter artwork more and more! I like the British children’s covers, but the adult versions are a different story. The artwork is plain and doesn’t convey how amazing and imaginative the storylines are. If I saw those covers in a bookstore, I would walk right past and assume it was another thriller or mystery novel. Obviously the stories are popular enough that most people would recognize the title and author, so I guess they don’t really need to draw people in with an intriguing cover. Or maybe the point is that adults can read the books in a more bland and hidden shell?

I found it interesting that majority of the covers used the same “Harry Potter” font with the lightning bolt. It is immediately recognizable around the world- they even kept it for the movie collateral, which I am betting is unheard of.