Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Small Bibles Are Less Intimidating




Ultimately, I think a digital form of the Bible is probably the best format due to the ability to search a document and to quickly navigate to specific passages. Not to mention the ease of transport and being able to have it with you virtually anywhere. But I'd probably only read a digital Bible if it was well-designed (ie-clear hierarchy, fun colors, designed sections, etc. - more like something you'd find for an iPad, rather than a Kindle.)

But for those who prefer a paper book, my favorite format of the Bible featured on the Bible Design Blog is the Transetto's fip book version. I feel like this format is quite appropriate, especially for the Bible - its portable, compact and comes off as less intimidating overall. Even it's cover design is modern, clean and bright, inviting me to read it. The large, colored numbers and titles are a nice touch and the main reason why I prefer this particular format. Not only do the large colored numbers resolve the way-finding problem many seem to have when trying to read the Bible, they also offer a nice reprieve from the wall of text so often found (by necessity) in Bibles. I do like Traci's idea of color-coding the books of the Bible, so one thing I would add (assuming no limits on budget) are color-coded tabs or sections, maybe printing on the outside edge of the pages so you can easily flip to the section you are looking for.

Actually, if I had it my way, I'd have a series of mini-books, each covering one of the books of the Bible. Color-coded, of course, and similarly laid out like Transetto's. I want the Bible to be broken down into manageable bites. Only then would I, perhaps, be inclined to actually read the entire Bible.