Wednesday, March 28, 2012

When in Doubt, I Use Metaphors

I guess the title of my post sums of the gist of my creative process. I could go on and on about research, looking at different examples, looking at peer's work, and on and on. But, at the end of the day, my interpretation or approach to a project begins from a metaphorical viewpoint. How can I convey the idea indirectly, but in a relevant manner. How can I hint at but still keep the major theme at the forefront. I think this is at the heart of my creative process.

For this reason, I love illustration and fine art. Great illustration is riddled with double and triple meanings, and I love pulling ideas and concepts out of an illustration. One of my fav new finds is the 3X3 Illustration Annual....a showcase of illusrations by current professionals and student. It is so so so rich in concept, that I cannot help but be inspired.


















I'm also a BIG believer in staying current and relevant by reading the trendiest new magazine. Esquire and GQ for me are the epitome of ultra-cool, that translate well to men and women. Nylon in likewise another great one. Creatively, I draw from the typographic elements and folio elements. Nylon in particular using hand-drawn type treatments in their folio elements that are quite lovely. Check out this cover of Esquire with Daniel Craig. It actually was printed exactly as is, and was absolutely gorgeous! And totally conceptual!




































And when all else fails, and I am panicked, I turn to children's books. Somehow, they are some of the most clever sources of design inspiration for me. Probably because the distill the idea to the essence in the most unnoticeable of ways. Curious George is always a good choice. But so are stories like Babar the Elephant, Goodnight Moon, and Where the Wild Things Are... a few of my faves.