Monday, March 26, 2012

Creative Process

Great question, Brandi.

For more creative projects, my process usually begins with word association. When I think of this book/assignment/article/image, what does it make me think of? I write all of the words down then consider what sort of mood I want the finished piece to have. I try to figure out which word associations go best with the mood I want and try to come up with a design from there. Then, I sketch. I don't draw well at all, but I like to give myself a sense of what the layout will be, where the text will go, etc.

I've browsed a lot of book covers since the start of this class and I have to say, it doesn't always help. When it comes to looking at book covers, I feel like there are only horrific examples or award-winning, breathtakingly clever examples. I love looking at all of the amazing book cover designs out there, but man, they set the bar high.

Here a few from my inspiration folder that I like for their images, typography and overall concepts: