Monday, March 5, 2012

My Guilty Pleasure That I'll Deny With My Last Dying Breath

Man, I was hoping no one would bring up the subject of romance novels, lest I be inclined to admit that I read them! It was embarrassing enough to admit I'd read the Twilight series...

Ok, so here goes. The series I've been reading (well, listening to on audible.com) is the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. But, as the title of this blog suggests, I'd deny that I've read them if someone asks...

In a nutshell? It's about a woman named Claire who time travels from 1945 to the 18th century Scottish Highlands and falls in love with a Scottish clansman named Jamie Fraser. They live during the time of the Jacobite rebellion. Gabaldon's novels are hard to classify -- they are romance novels for sure, but they are also historical fiction, with detailed accounts of 18th century Scottish clan life, and they also have time travel, so there is a bit of fantasy involved. And boy, are they long... like 500-800 pages long, which is why I listen to them when I'm commuting to Baltimore, running on the treadmill, or cleaning the house.

The book covers are thoroughly uninspiring, although thankfully, avoid the usual romance cover cliches... I would NEVER have picked them up off a book shelf. In fact, the only reason I downloaded the first book was because it was only $5. I've read reviews, and people either love them or hate them. I love them! Although I've only made it through the first novel, and 1/3 of the second one...

Here they are in all their tragic, uninspired glory: