Monday, March 12, 2012

Self Help book that changed my mind about self help books

Until recently, I was firmly in the camp that disparagingly referred to self-help books as complete and utter bullshit. And I flat out refused to read something if it made Oprah's booklist. Then my Mom and my sister kept harping on me to give this one book a chance and I resisted at first. They kept telling me anecdotal stories, advice, how it had helped them, and little by little, like squirrel furtively grabbing an acorn from an outstretched hand, I finally read the book, and I read it again, and again, and again.

It's Eckhard Tolle's   "The Power of Now."

It's changed the way I live my life. It's hard to sum up this book in a nutshell but I'll try. It's basically a summary of many different threads of Eastern cultures: (think "A Course in Miracles" or Buddhism, Yoga)

1) Live in the present. There is no past, there is not future, only the now. (obvious, there are some practical issues to adhering to this strictly, but you get the idea) Don't obsess over that which you can't change (past) and that which you have no control over (future).
2) Stop negative energy cycles, they serve no purpose. (don't get sucked in to drama, gossip, petty arguments, road rage, etc)
3) Everything is connected.
4) Turn off your brain. (again, there are a few practicality issues here but don't obsess over that which you can't control)

This summary is a great oversimplification, but for someone who is a recovering control freak, this was like a total awakening!

The book certainly has its issues, it's a bit repetitive and some of the advice causes dangerous eye rolling, but I like the overall message and its completely non-denominational. I've only read the Power of Now, I haven't read any other ones yet.