Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Response to Stacy's Post

Stacy, what a great find! Jessica Hische has got to be one of the more highly recognizable design icons of our generation. (I remember seeing her work for a few magazine covers and articles a few years back and was so impressed by her lettering talent that I had to figure out a right time, budget, and story to commission her for one of our magazine covers and cover story, and indeed we did a few years back--what a talent!).

What's iconic about the cover designs of the era Jessica Hische draws inspiration from is the use of patterns and typography. Also, the art direction is nicely executed, especially with the choice to adorn the back cover with a quote. Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice are among of my favorites from the classics. I thought that the quote used for Pride and Prejudice was spot on; however, for Jane Eyre, the quote that really stuck with me all these years is "Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! - I have as much soul as you, - and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you!” Perhaps, this is too impassioned to appear on a back cover?