Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Re: Stacy's Post

Who doesn't love Jessica? I heard her speak once at USU in Logan, Utah and I've been a follower ever since! What I love about her design of these book covers is that they are infused with the spirit that the original book intended, but they have something modern and fresh about them. It's an unusual combination, and a combination that's hard to do well. So, bravo to Jessica!

To answer Stacy's question, would I buy each book from different publishers if I loved the design of the book, I'd have to say no. I've been known to purchase items I love based solely on design value, but my practicality usually balances out my artistic spirit. However, I do know people who are committed to their loves. My husband, for example, is addicted to J.R.R. Tolkien books. He would probably buy different copies of the LoTR books, just for the cover art. What would probably happen is he'd find a set he liked, buy it, find a set he liked better, buy that too...and the chain would go on and on. Maybe folks wouldn't do it willfully, but rather impulsively.

Personally, I don't know why different publishers would put out the same covers. It goes against what little bit I know about marketing, which isn't very much.

Great find, Stacy, and great discussion!