Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Response to Stacy Adam

Stacey -

What an interesting question you've posed!  My gut reaction answer is and astounding "NO!"  If the content hasn't changed, I'm not too concerned with publishers' attempts at making "new" money on "old" or "classic" books.  Money...that's what its all about in my opinion. 
Now, on the flip side of that, I'm not a a book enthusiast. I struggle to complete ANY book no matter how badly I wanted to read it.  My attention span...well, that's another blog.  But I can totally see why people (who care) may be interested in buying their favorite classic book with ONLY a new cover added.  I liken it to how they digitally remaster classic movies.  Does it really change the content now that it's in color or digital?  I think it takes away from the nostalgia of that time period. It's like The Great Gatsby movie with L.DiCaprio and how they added Jay-Z and Beyonce (2013 soundtrack) to a classic movie.  That's almost the equivalent of adding a new book cover to a classic book.  It's the same movie/concept, but updated to move it forward from that era into the era we are most familiar with...2013.