Sunday, May 31, 2015

Re: Cover Design Process: Failing Better

I read this post at the perfect moment. As I've been struggling this weekend with my three concepts, it was very reassuring that I'm not the only one who goes through these struggles and emotions. While reading this, I remembered this quote from Julia Cameron about the design process.


I tend to forget this pretty much every time I'm starting a new project. I let the process stress me out until I've had that "aha" moment.

As for my design process, it seems very similar to Erin's. First, I need to be in the right environment with minimal distractions. My workspace needs to be neat and I have to be in the right mindset (which is challenging for projects with tight deadlines). I tend to work well under pressure once I've got the creative juices flowing. I really like to do my research and explore. Pinterest and Behance are the two resources I use the most when searching for inspiration. Mood boards have helped me immensely thus far in the program. Once I've established a mood or theme, I start sketching, then move to the computer. 

A few tips I've learned from previous professors on the design process: Joe Fioramonti has a folder on his desktop that has thousands of design photos. His screen saver is a seemingly never ending slideshow of design inspiration. This way he is always being exposed, even when he isn't searching for it. Jeanne Fountain likes the cut and paste method once in her digital draft phase. This allows her to look away from the computer on a new medium and explore different layout options.