Sunday, May 31, 2015

Re: Cover Design Process: Failing Better

Loved Chip Kidd's video.

I've noticed over the years at UB that when it comes to design my creative process always starts out much more complicated than it ends. While trying to figure out what direction to go in for my full concepts, I looked back at some earlier work in this program, comparing first drafts with final ones and had a good laugh. I think i'm finally learning to simplify, to say more with less, so my latest "failure" won't be as bad as the previous.

Here's how I'd categorize my creative process:
1. spend A LOT of time looking at other people's designs and getting to know the writer/writer's work
2. start working on the first idea that comes to mind
3. hate it.
4. try another.
5. hate that one too.
6. keep going.
7. eventually find something that works, and spend hours honing it.
8. second guess the whole thing

I think the one thing that helps me get through it all is to remember that there is no one right answer when it comes to design. However, it often feels like trying to solve a really difficult math problem without an answer key.