Sunday, May 31, 2015

Re: Cover Design Process: Failing Better

So far I have to say I have experienced different processes for my projects across the board. Sometimes, I have a great idea, and it slowly takes form on the screen to look a lot like I imagined. Many times I have no idea what I'm doing and sometimes it turns out total crap and sometimes, luckily, happy accidents have happened. Most times, it feels somewhere in between.

I generally have a broad idea of how I want it to look. This involves hours of "shopping" around on pinterest for the bits and pieces of my idea for inspiration, first needing to see how others have attacked this type of visual. (By shopping I mean stealing other people's ideas.) The magic happens when someone else's idea sparks my own concept.

As I commented once in Creative Concepts, I struggle not usually with the idea part so much as I do the execution. At first my ideas usually include too much, and from brainstorming to comp, a lot has been cut to slim the idea down. This is pretty typical of all my processes. Yet, I did not take art classes, I cannot illustrate. My fear is that all of my projects will be different versions of the same technique. I see many very cool effects on Pinterest and I'd love to know how they did it, but I'm not sure how to get there!