Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Re: The Wild West of Book Design

Before I even read this post, I scrolled down to check out the pictures and couldn't help but notice the typography and how unique Western style is. I can agree with Katie that it is more on the awesomely bad side, but everyone's taste in style is different.

Thinking off the top of my head, there are still a few font types that can be used today to create a Western feel, the two coming to mind being both Playbill and Outlaw:






As new and unique fonts are being created everyday, I have come across the question of: who gets to decide what fonts are "in" and current, and what fonts are "out" and overused. I can't say that Western fonts are currently "in" but who am I to have a say in what is cool in the typography world in 2015.

I am not particularly a big fan of Wild West stories, but I can attest to the unique style that they portray to make it easy to identify what the story will be about just by the use of the typography. 


I am also curious to see how the style has changed over the years from the 1800's Western style to today. I wonder if the fonts remain the same since they date back to such a long time ago, but that is also what makes them so uniquely recognizable and distinct making me also wonder if the same fonts have just been updated throughout the years.